Sunday, June 19, 2011

Kings Canyon National Park and John Muir Wilderness

Mt. Agassiz and Palisades reflected in Dusy Basin.
The Eastern Sierras are one of my favorite playgrounds.  I have returned multiple times to this wonderful area to enjoy what it has to offer - namely, rugged peaks and granite lake basins, with lots of off-trail exploration possibilities.

My first backpack in the John Muir Wilderness was over Piute Pass to a high lake in Humphreys Basin below Muriel Peak.  A storm blew through that evening, and cleared out just at sunset for amazing light on the peaks and clouds.  We were fortunate to stay dry, but did not get so lucky the following night.

On the same trip we spent a multi-day trip hiking over Kearsarge Pass to Kearsarge Lakes, then over Glen Pass to Rae Lakes.  From Rae Lakes, we spent time exploring Sixty Lakes Basin.  Bears were a problem in this area, though we didn't experience any problems personally.  The scenery was fantastic, and I hope to return to Rae Lakes again.

Cloudripper Peak reflected in Sixth Lake at sunrise.
I returned to the Eastern Sierra on subsequent solo trips.  From Lake Sabrina, I enjoyed a backpack to Blue Lake and on to Emerald Lake - located a short ways off trail.  I had the lake all to myself, despite regular foot traffic on the main trail.

My trek up to Sixth Lake below the Palisades was also spent camping by myself, and included some memorable reflection shots taken at sunrise, including Cloudripper Peak as seen above.

Venturing once again to the Palisades, I backpacked over Bishop Pass to popular Dusy Basin.  Again I found a secluded tarn off the beaten path, shared only with a lone coyote who sang to me throughout the evening.  On this trip I also visited nearby Knapsack Pass and climbed Columbine Peak.

All these images and more can now be seen in my new Kings Canyon National Park and John Muir Wilderness Gallery.  Please, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment