Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Where's Don?

I can't believe it has been several weeks since my last update.  Typically, I am chomping at the bit to share the latest news and events going on with my photography.  Lack of postings certainly does not mean things are slow - quite the contrary.  I've been busy with submissions to various publications.  It's tedious and even boring work at times, but has the potential for an exciting outcome, which makes it all worth while.  I do hope to have news pertaining to some calendars and a tourist travel brochure to share soon.
"I need a cup holder"

Other things have been keeping me busy as well.  Yep, that's a boot on my foot in the picture to the left.  As some of you know, I fractured my ankle in early April while hiking in Redwood National Park.  I would like be able to tell you how I was traveling off-trail on an extremely exposed and dangerous traverse when the accident occurred, but it was actually a simple hike with family.  Takes the sexy right out of the story, huh?

Two miles from the trailhead, I rolled my ankle and heard a "pop".  I knew instantly.  I still had to walk the two remaining miles back to the car - not much fun.

Back home, x-rays confirmed an inversion fracture of the fibula in two places at the ankle joint.  An inversion fracture is when the tendon, instead of stretching or tearing, pulls away chips of bone.

So, I was introduced to a walking boot for six weeks.  Not so much fun.  No more runs, bike rides, or even walking with the kids around the neighborhood.  Instead, I got to sit around and rest my ankle and throw on a few pounds.

I've been out of the boot for a while now, and just finished with my physical therapy.  I had an excellent physical therapist in Nicole Nelson, and highly recommend her to anyone in the Fairwood area.

I am now on a home exercise program thanks to Nicole, working hard to strengthen my ankle and prevent this injury from happening again.  I have been biking for a few weeks and recently just started running again.  I have a lot of work ahead of me to get back in the shape I was in before my injury.  But it will happen!

Fill-in coaching the Fireballs.
I'm also the father of two very active kids.  Our son Brendan is taking swim lessons at nearby Lindbergh Pool and is improving immensely with each lesson.  Kids get to a point where they all of a sudden "get it" and their abilities take off.  Brendan is getting it.  Much like his sister did before him.  It's fun to watch.

Equally fun is being heavily involved with our daughter Karissa's soccer team.  She has only been playing since last fall, but is strong, competitive and fun to watch.  I help out with each practice, have filled in as a substitute coach (thanks, Coach Aaron), and have unofficially served as team photographer.

Needless to say, I'm very proud of my kids and excited to be a part of their activities and watch them grow and excel in them.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.

So there you have it, some behind the scenes so to speak of my life outside of photography, hiking and climbing.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programing...

No comments:

Post a Comment